DPM server hardware requirements
The following table lists the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for the DPM server.
|Component||Minimum requirement||Recommended requirement|
|Processor||1 GHz, dual-core CPU or faster||2.33 GHz quad-core CPU|
|RAM||4 GB||8 GB|
|Pagefile||1.5 times the amount of RAM on the computer.||0.2 percent of the combined size of all recovery point volumes, in addition to the minimum required size (1.5 times the amount of RAM on the computer).|
|Disk space for DPM installation||
The system drive disk space requirement is necessary if you choose to install the dedicated instance of SQL Server from DPM Setup. If you use a remote instance of SQL Server, this disk space requirement is considerably less.
|DPM requires a minimum of 300 MB of free space on each protected volume for the change journal. Additionally, before archiving data to tape, DPM copies the file catalog to a temporary DPM installation location; therefore, we recommend that the volume on which DPM is installed contains 2–3 GB of free space.|
|Disk space for storage pool
The storage pool does not support Universal Serial Bus (USB)/1394 disks.
|1.5 times the size of the protected data||2.5–3 times the size of the protected data|
|Logical unit number (LUN)||N/A||
These requirements are based on the maximum size of the disk as it appears to the Windows Server operating system.
DPM server operating system requirements
The table below summarizes supported operating systems for the DPM server. Note that only 64-bit operating systems are supported. 32-bit and Itanium architecture–based operating systems are not supported.
|Supported operating system|
|Windows Server 2012 R2, Datacenter and Standard editions|
|Windows Server 2012, Datacenter and Standard editions|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1, Standard and Enterprise editions|
DPM server installation requirements and limitations
- You can install DPM on the same volume that the operating system is installed on, or you can install DPM on a different volume that does not include the operating system.
- DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:
- A computer on which the Application Server role is installed.
- A computer that is an Operations Manager management server
- A computer on which Exchange Server is running.
- A computer that is a cluster node.
- DPM is not supported on the Turkish language version of any of the listed Windows Server versions.
- The following prerequisites are required for installation:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
- Windows PowerShell 3.0
- Windows Installer 4.5 or later versions
- Windows Single Instance Store (SIS)
- Microsoft Application Error Reporting
Setup automatically installs these if they are not already installed or enabled. If any pre-requisites cannot be installed during setup, or if you want to install them before you install DPM, you can install them manually. For more information, see Installing Prerequisite Software Manually.
- After you have installed DPM, we recommend that you run Windows Update on the DPM server and, if you use a remote database, on the remote computer where the DPM database is located, and install all important updates or hotfixes.
SQL Server requirements
For the DPM database, DPM requires a dedicated instance of 64-bit SQL Server as follows:
- SQL Server 2012 with SP1 (11.0.3000)—Standard or Enterprise edition.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP2 (10.50.4000)—Standard or Enterprise edition
Protected computer requirements
For a complete list of DPM protection support for computers and workloads, see the Support Matrix for DPM Protection. Prerequisites for computers running the DPM protection agent are summarized in the following table. If any prerequisites cannot be installed during setup, or if you want to install them before you install DPM, you can install them manually. For more information, see Installing Prerequisite Software Manually.
|File Servers||Before you can protect a file server running Windows Server 2008 R2, you must apply the hotfix KB977381|
|Exchange||Note the following when protecting Exchange:
|Hyper-V||To protect Hyper-V, note the following:
|SharePoint||When protecting SharePoint, note the following:|
Remote administration requirements
In addition to managing DPM directly from the DPM server, you can use DPM Remote Administration or the Central Console.
DPM Remote Administration allows you to work on your DPM servers from any computer. It also supports task-based scripting.
With DPM Central Console you can monitor and manage multiple DPM servers from one location.
Operating system requirements are summarized in the following table.
|Remote Administration Option||Supported Operating System|
In addition, computers from which you want to remotely administer DPM require the following prerequisites::
- DPM Central Console must be installed on Operations Manager server or a computer running Operations Manager Console. You can install it on the following operating systems:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or 4.5
- If any prerequisites cannot be installed during setup, or if you want to install them before you install DPM, you can install them manually. For more information, see Installing Prerequisite Software Manually.
The following are the network requirements for System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM):
- DPM must be installed on a 64-bit computer that is located in a Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2003 Active Directory domain.
- DPM can protect servers and workstations across domains within a forest that has a two-way trust relationship with the domain that the DPM server is located in. If there is not a two-way trust across domains, you can protect the computers using DPM’s support for computers in workgroups or untrusted domains. For more information, see Managing Protected Computers in Workgroups and Untrusted Domains.
DPM supports data protection across forests as long as you establish a forest-level, two-way trust between the separate forests. To set up a forest-level trust relationship, both domains must be in Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2003 forest mode.
- If you are protecting data over a wide area network (WAN), there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 kilobits per second (Kbps).
- DPM does not support disjointed namespaces.
Support Matrix for DPM Protection
|Supported workload||Supported workload version||DPM in System Center 2012 R2||DPM in System Center 2012 SP1||DPM in System Center 2012||Protectable and recoverable data|
|Computers running client operating systems (64-bit, 32-bit)
Note the following:
|Windows Vista with SP2||N||Y||Y|
|Windows Vista with SP1||N||N||Y|
|Windows XP with SP2||N||N||Y|
|Computers running server operating systems
64-bit only. 32-bit or Itanium architecture–based operating systems are not supported
|Windows Server 2012 R2, Datacenter and Standard editions||Y||N||N||
|Windows Server 2012, Datacenter and Standard editions||Y||Y||N|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Standard and Enterprise editions||Y||Y||Y|
|Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard and Enterprise Editions||N||Y||Y|
|Windows Storage Server 2008||N||Y||Y|
|Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2||N||Y||Y|
|Windows Server 2003 with SP2 – Core, Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter Editions||N||Y||Y|
|SQL Server 2012||Y||Y||Y||Database
|SQL Server 2008 R2||Y||Y||Y|
|SQL Server 2008||Y||Y||Y|
|Exchange Server 2013||Y||Y||N||Exchange 2007:
Exchange 2010; Exchange 2013
|Exchange Server 2010||Y||Y||Y|
|Exchange Server 2007||Y||Y||Y|
|Windows SharePoint Server 3.0||Y||Y||Y|
|Hyper-V||Windows Server 2012 R2, Datacenter and Standard editions with Hyper-V||Y||N||N||
|Windows Server 2012, Datacenter and Standard editions with Hyper-V||Y||Y||Y|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Standard and Enterprise editions with Hyper-V||Y||Y||Y|
|Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V||N||Y||Y|
While installing SQL server you will face the issue called NetFx3. please click the below link to solve this issue.
In SQL server instance, Agent and reporting services required domain administrator account or local administrator account.
After successful configuration of the sql Server you should start reporting services,SQL server agent and the instance server.
Now you can start the DPM 2012 R2 installation.