- Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
- When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
- Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the “R” key to repair Windows.
- Log into your Windows installation by pressing the “1” key and pressing enter.
- You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
- Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is “e.” This letter may be different on your computer.
copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
- Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
Windows 2000 users
If your computer is using Microsoft Windows 2000 and you are encountering the NTLDR error. Create the below boot.ini file on the floppy diskette drive.
[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=”Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional” /fastdetect
Copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from another computer using the same operating system. Both of these files are located in the root directory of the primary hard drive. For example, C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM should be the locations of these files on many computers.