- Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 or SP1 R2
- .Net Framework 4.0 or greater
- WebDav 7.5 (part of WS 2008 R2)
- Active Server Page Support (ASP)
- SQL 2008 x64 SP2 with CU 7 (minimum) orSQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU4
- WSUS 3.0 x64 SP2 or greater (DO NOT CONFIGURE – SCCM will do it)
- Configuration Manager 2012 (v.Next) – RCx
When you install Server 2008 x64 SP1 by default Windows Firewall is ON. Disable the Windows Firewall by following the below steps. Select Off and click Ok.
Install Internet Information Services (IIS):
Install Internet Information Services (IIS) on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Computers.
Use the following procedure that applies to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2:
- On the Windows Server 2008 computer, navigate to Start / All Programs / Administrative Tools / Server Managerto start Server Manager.
- In Server Manager, select the Features node, and then click Add Features to start the Add Features Wizard.
- On the Select Features page of the Add Features Wizard:
- For Windows Server 2008, select the BITS Server Extensions check box. For Windows Server 2008 R2, select the Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) check box.
- When prompted, click Add Required Role Services to add the dependent components, including the Web Server (IIS) role.
- Select the Remote Differential Compression check box, and then click Next.
7. On the Web Server (IIS) page of the Add Features Wizard, click Next. 8. On the Select Role Services page of the Add Features Wizard 9. Windows Server 2008 R2 only: For Common HTTP Features, select the WebDAV Publishing check box.
10. For Application Development, select the ASP.NET check box and, when prompted, click Add Required Role Services to add the dependent components.
11. For Security, select the Windows Authentication check box.
12. In the Management Tools, make sure that the IIS Management Console is installed
13. In the Management Tools node, for IIS 6 Management Compatibility, ensure that both the IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility and IIS 6 WMI Compatibility check boxes are selected, and then click Next.
14. On the Confirmation page, click Install, and then complete the rest of the wizard. 15. Click Close to exit the Add Features Wizard, and then close Server Manager. Configuring WebDAV 7.5 With Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the WebDAV 7.5 module ships as a feature for IIS 7.5, so downloading WebDAV is no longer necessary, but WebDAV has to be added as a features.
Enable WebDAV and create an Authoring Rule
- Use the following procedure to enable WebDAV and create an Authoring Rule for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2:
- Navigate to Start / All Programs / Administrative Tools / Internet Information Services (IIS) Managerto start Internet Information Services 7 Application Server Manager.
- In the Connections pane, expand the Sites node, and then click Default Web Site if you are using the default Web site for the site system or SMSWEB if you are using a custom Web site for the site system.
- In the Features View, double-click or right click on WebDAV Authoring Rules.
- With the WebDAV Authoring Rules page displayed, in the Actions pane, click Enable WebDAV.
- In the Actions pane, click Add Authoring Rule.
- In the Add Authoring Rule dialog box, for Allow access to, select All content.
- For Allow access to this content to, select All users.
- For Permissions, select Read, and then click OK.
- In the WebDAV Authoring Rules page, in the Actions pane, click WebDAV Settings.
- In the WebDAV Settings page, for Property Behavior, set Allow anonymous property queries to True.
- Set Allow Custom Properties to False.
- Set Allow property queries with infinite depth to True.
- For a distribution point that is enabled for Allow clients to transfer content from this distribution point using BITS, HTTP, and HTTPS, for WebDAV Behavior, set Allow hidden files to be listed to True.
- In the Action pane, click Apply.
- Close Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
Disable IE Enhanced Security – Optional
In order to use Server 2008 as a workstation within your VM you will need to remove the annoying security settings for IE. From within Server Manager, select “Configure IE ESC” and set both settings to OFF.
Install Microsoft .NET 4.0 framework or later:
The Microsoft .NET 4.0 framework or later is required for Configuration Manager Site server installations. The Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 is available for download at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en Install .NET 4.0 and restart the system.
Extending the Active Directory Schema:
To extend the AD Schema, you should be part of the Schema Admins group.
Add and set the permissions for the SCCM Servers computer account to System folder in the AD by following the below steps.
Create a Machine Group in AD and add the SCCM Server computer account to that group If the System folder isn’t visible in the User and Computers console, point to View Tab and select the Advanced Features.
Select the System folder and right click Properties and on Security Tab and click on Add Add the SCCM Server Group, click Ok, Under Permissions Allow full control and click on the Advanced Tab And finally allow SCCM server right to all descendent objects, by Selecting the SCCM Server Group and click on Edit button On Apply to: Select This Object and all descendent objects from drop down menu
This results in the site server automatically creating the System Management container when site information is first published to Active Directory Domain Services. This is OK for the LAB environment, but it is more secure to manually create the System Management container in AD using ADSI Edit tool.
Note, if you already extend AD for SCCM 2007, there is no need to extend AD scheme for SCCM 2012 since the schema didn’t change from SCCM 2007.
To Extend the Active Directory Schema locate the extadsch.exe file from the SCCM 2012 installation source location ..\SCCM2012\SMSSETUP\BIN|X64\ folder Double click on the extadsch.exe file to extend the Active Directory Schema
You can view the ExtADSch.log file from system drive (C:\) to verify the AD Extension
Install SQL 2008 Server
1. Run SQL 2008 Install and select:
- DB engine service
- SQL Server Replication
- Reporting Services
- Management Tools – optional (Admin studio, needed for SQL administration
3. In Collection tab, make sure that SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, case-insensitive is selected In the Database Engine configuration windows, choose Windows authentication mode And add Local Administrators as SQL Administrators.
4. In the Reporting server Configurations, select Install, but do not configure the report server
5. Install SQL 2008 SP2 (SQLServer2008SP2-KB2285068-x64-ENU)
6. Install SQL 2008 SP Cumulative Update pack 7 (SQLServer2008-KB2617148-x64 – at minimum)
7. Download WSUS 3.0SP2 (WSUS30-KB972455-x64) or later
Note, in WS 2008 R2 have WSUS 3.0 SP1 already as the service option, but I prefer WSUS with SP2.
8. Run WSUS – x64 bit install, chose WSUS folder, select local (or remote) SQL server instance and select custom WSUS Web site
Once installation finis, close the WSUS management console, since we do not want to configure WSUS service now, it all will be done later trough SCCM console.
And finally, we are ready for the SCCM 2012 installation after all.
9. Before the installation, create an empty file called no_sms_on_drive.sms on the root of any drive that you don’t want SCCM to use as a DP.
10. Download the SCCM 2012 RC1, extract files and lunch splash.hta, click on Install
Since I want create a SCCM hierarchy, I must install the central administration site first.
11. If you want play only with the one Primary site , then you have to select Install a Configuration Manager Primary Site server, and check Use typical installation options for a single server installation.
Note, there is a new stuff there, the Recovery Wizard is built in the Setup.
12. Accept the Software License Terms, and click next.
13. Select location of the Downloaded updates or download it directly from Microsoft.
14. Choose Language; enter 3 letter site code, installation path and site name.
15. Live all default on the Database Information screen
16. Clear all prerequisites (if any) and click on Begin to start installation.
That’s it. SCCM 2012 is up and running.
Useful Links for SCCM 2012:
My site: http://www.ntcenter.ca – scripts, tools and tips for SCCM and SCOM
SQL Server 2008 Download
Links for WSUS 3.0 SP2 x64 – WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe download
Links for Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2008